I got this idea over the summer and worked on it with the lovely Sera Rose and Kayla Fenwick, both people I’ve never worked with before. My friend Jennifer Weightman was my assistant. Kayla was such a fantastic MUA and I really hope to work with her again. Sera was fantastic as well, a great poser and totally wiling to lie in gull poop, go swimming, wear dresses that were falling apart. Jen was hilarious and really helpful. It makes it so much easier when you have an assistant who is also a photographer and knows what you are talking about.
The series focused around recycled fashion and how we (as consumers) can create beautiful products out of materials we use everyday. The black dress is made completely from contractor bags swiped from (empty) construction sites. Took me approximately…..three days, including patterning for the top, a muslin, and finished ruffles/pleating and five contractor bags. The white dress is made from (clean) kitchen trash bags and Target bags. That took me two days. Fairly easy, just started cutting away what I didn’t want and figuring out a shape.
This was one of the first shots of the day. At this point, only the pleating at the top of the dress was starting to come undone, so it wasn’t too bad. I hadn’t really thought about how the pleats would come apart when I made the dress so it was interesting to see where my craftsmanship was the poorest. The skirt is huge, approximately….four feet of train? I got really inspired by a shot of Kiera Knightly by Vogue in Africa, where they had her in a ruffled linen skirt. So beautiful!
Towards the end I decided to risk everything and put my precious baby as close to the water as possible without getting wet. O.O So much worry. I used the Live View mode in my camera (thank god) to make sure that the composition was how I wanted it. Thank you Nikon for inventing and then including that on pro-DSLR’s.
This was the second outfit and the shot was done within the first dozen frames or so. Really love Sera in this, she’s so fantastic! It kinda reminds me of a jewelry ad I saw in a magazine once. Meh. I don’t really remember. So much post production in this though. Somehow, between color editing in Lightroom and then moving over to Photoshop for retouching the color profile got screwed up and so I ended up with a very green, very sickly looking image when I finished and tried to put it into JPG format. Four processes later I figured out the problem (sRGB color configuration vs. ProPhoto/Adobe 1998) and now I have this! (Irefusetotouchthisagain)
One of the last images from the day. We lost the sun for an hour or so and this was one of the moments where it was peeking out for .45 seconds. I had Jen on sun spot. She would yell when she saw it, we’d swim over to the point and try to snap some frames in before it dissipated again. Working against light + wrap time + sun = NOT EASY. But it was fun and the image was beautiful. Again, another image that got color corrupted between LR and PS so it took me five edits before I figure out the problem(s) (Two, one with the color profile and one with the working space). Still not exactly sure what went wrong seeing as how I used the same processes for the top two images as these two, but eh, as long as I can fix it I’m happy.